Reading Made Easy with Blend Phonics
Nationwide Educational Reform Campaign
Sponsored by Donald L. Potter
The purpose of this website is to promote Hazel Logan Loring’s 1980 Reading Made Easy with Blend Phonics for First Grade: Plus Blend Phonics Fluency Drills as the definitive solution to the problem of illiteracy in The United States and other English speaking countries.
The program features a highly effective, easy-to-teach, single-letter phonics technique for teaching reading with directional guidance to students of any age. It will prevent the development of reading problems in beginning students and remediate its presence in older students.
Here is a Training Video to explain How to Teach Blend Phonics.
Several factors lead me to believe that the goal of making Blend Phonics available to every reading teacher in America is now feasible.
- The program is totally free. When first published, 5000 copies were printed and mailed to first grade teachers in Michigan. The response from teachers, as published in the Detroit Free Press, was overwhelmingly positive. Here is my FREE PDF of the program: Reading Made Easy with Blend Phonics for First Grade.
- Numerous supplements and training materials (written, audio, and video) are available for free on the other pages of this website. These supplements will be of great aid to teachers in implementing the program successfully.
- The implementation of the program does not require any changes in curriculum currently used.
- I believe it is completely aligned with contemporary scientific researching reading acquisition.
- Properly implemented, it covers handwriting, phonics, reading, spelling, vocabulary, and comprehension development in one easy-to-teach program.
- The power of the Internet and social networking means that we are able to advertise and distribute the program in an effective manner without a large financial outlay.
- A very splendid 6 x 9 paperback book containing all of Mrs. Loring’s lessons and 62 decodable text with comprehension questions and spelling words is available: Blend Phonics Lessons and Stories.
- Here is my Teacher Training Video explaining page by page how to teach the program.
Participation is entirely voluntary. Everyone is welcome to download Loring’s Blend Phonics Pamphlet or purchase my expanded Blend Phonics with Fluency Drills. Feel free to share it with fellow teachers, tutors, parents, professors, researches, tutors, and administrators. I would encourage business people, who want to do something really important, to make copies or purchase the inexpensive paperback to give to teachers, schools, and entire school districts.
For homeschool parents, it is the ounce of prevention that can save their children from developing the guessing habit thanks to Directional Guidance (also called Cumulative Blending or Successive Blending).
Here is an excellent Example of a Homeschool Parent using Blend Phonics.